Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Chalkboard Rundown


Sportscenter brought "The Rundown” to the left side of the screen to show viewers what’s coming after the over-speculation on Manning’s neck, and I gotta tell ya, it keeps me tuned. It’s reminiscent of the old days. Middle-school thrived on it, high-school featured it, and I’ve missed it at the Heights--until now. When teachers would write the day’s agenda on the board, the class would scope it out and if “Hand in Homework!” was anywhere on that board, you knew someone wasn’t making it through the class. Out of those of us who stuck it out, there were some who spent the first 40 minutes of class drafting excuses in our notebooks, some to more avail than others. Others would find a bro who had completed the assignment and pass it around to complete during class, but those kids sometimes got nabbed. Either way, it was a good warning to have, and the times you came out on top were followed by celebrations. It’s always better to cheat the system and get away with it than to do what’s asked. That’s what I know, that’s how we live.

I’ve had this class twice here now, and both times the full-blown agenda was on the board. The PEPS didn’t mention this, but there was mention of the sporadic homework collection. I’m a betting man, so I’m gonna love taking my chances.

I know I’m pissing into the wind if I think the man’s gonna write “Homework Collection” on the board, but it’s still a great tool to use in fighting the great fight: in fighting the grind. Classes are long in the first week, but this one is particularly so. It’s brutal, but having the chafe list up there is great because as I tune in and out, I realize what bullet number we’re at on the board. This gives me hope, especially in a no lap-top class, that we are in fact getting closer.

1 comment: