Saturday, May 7, 2011

The (ex) Cleveland Circle Movie Theater


I’m just gonna go off on a tangent here, but if you were looking for something meaningful, you're reading the wrong blog. I’m no Roger Ebert, but damn I love going to the movies. Other than the fact that the theater was the best place for making out in grade-school (where are they now? – Sheila, my first kiss), hitting up a flick in theaters is a quality experience, especially when you bring doggies. I go to movies when I really want to see a specific flick, when I have time, and when it’s convenient. Because I only have two roommates with cars, one of them doesn't let anyone drive it because it is his love, it is his passion (1:30), my movie theater game is subpar at school. The T can be a bit chafey, and sometimes the added time of the commute deters potential companions from going. I simply am not man enough to go to a movie theater alone. It’s possible that one day I will summon the fortitude to be that guy with a trench coat and a baseball cap pulled down over my eyes, sitting—no—lurching in the back corner of the movie theater alone, but, for better or for worse, that day has not yet arrived. So I am left begging for channel 48 to keep throwing out the gems that they have been in recent months. However, every time I walk through our little Times Square (Cleveland Circle), I cringe at the sight of the shut-down theater next to the Applebee’s.

If that theater isn’t going to resume business, why doesn’t BC buy it? Turn that warehouse into an off-campus O’Connell House of some sorts, except with less weird events and more bangers. Somehow alleviate the pain I feel from being deprived the pleasure of seeing movies before they hit DVD's. Sign me up for that shit.


5 comments:

  1. I remember the days when Circle Cinema was open...guaranteed to have a rat run across your foot any time you went to see a movie there...but goddamn it was a lot more convenient (and cheaper) then getting to Fenway

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say we start a movement for BC to buy the theater and make something happen with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. comment two may be the worst comment in broston history. just really brought nothing to the table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Na the worst comment was the guy who ripped the masturbation post. Did have some comedic value though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. make it an extension of Applebees

    ReplyDelete