Thursday, June 10, 2010

Did WhatsApp Just Change Everything?



In one sense, this is shameless advertising from an iPhone user who pines for BBM, and in another, it's genuine excitement that prompted me to post. Is the iPhone fresher than the Berry in every way, shape, and form? Yes it is. The GPS, the browser, the iPod, the videos, apps, and sleek design. The list goes on and on and on. But as you'll learn in whatever that literature class they make you take Freshman year, with every hero comes their fatal flaw. No BBM. Simply put, I feel at a disadvantage without it. My Blackberry bros have fresh BBM threads that I'm left out of (chafe - being excluded), and while I'm shooting fruitless texts at the cutie from Cityside, my boy already has her pin, and is BBMing the shit out of her an hour after we leave the bar. More conversational, more personal, and now the fact that I'm better looking and funnier has become completely irrelevant because of the BBM factor.

But then, in the darkness of MMS (does anyone know what that stands for?) iPhone texting, WhatsApp may have provided light. An app that is nearly identical to BBM, and that is compatible with Blackberries and iPhones alike. I have a dream, that one day I will not be out-sleazed by my BBM-wielding brethren, and that we may all text on one platform. Could this be it? Did the world just change forever? I know the Berry-havers will downplay this breakthrough, but it is a step in the right direction. Be afraid Verizon, Jobs is coming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment